Thank you for pouring your heart into the 2016 campaign. Because of you, we turned Virginia blue for the third Presidential election in a row. The work you’ve done will help us continue the fight to elect Democrats who share our values. Our successes this year include contributing toward:
- 24,636 newly registered voters in Arlington County this year
- 37,629 voters voted absentee by mail or in-person a new record
- 121,241 Arlington voters voted, a new record; for 82 percent turnout of active voters
- 91,879 Arlington voters voted for the Democratic Nominee Hillary Clinton, 76 percent a new record.
It’s been a rough election for all of us, but in recent days the Arlington County Democratic Committee has received an influx of people asking what they can do to help and get involved. That’s a good thing because we need you now more than ever.
The Arlington County Democratic Committee is here all year long, and we continue to organize, advocate and grow. Visit our Contact Us page to get in touch with us and to volunteer. Visit our Calendar regularly to find Democratic and progressive events or to add your own event. You are welcome to join us at our Holiday Party General Meeting on Wednesday, December 7 at the Walter Reed Community Center (2909 16th St S. Arlington, VA 22204).
If you want to take action against President-Elect Trump’s ideas for a Muslim registry you can read a statement from the DNC here, his threats to action on climate change from Congressman Beyer here, and a letter signed by 169 House Democrats against White Nationalist Steve Bannon’s appointment here. Then you can write a letter or call the district offices of our US Senators Mark Warner and Tim Kaine.
One of the next big things coming up in January is the Virginia legislative session in Richmond. Already, state Senators and Delegates are filing legislation. You can visit this site to read the bills and see which ones you might want to support or oppose.
2017 is critical. We will have elections next November for Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General and all 100 members of the House of Delegates. But first, we’ll be nominating our candidates by primary, caucus or convention. When information becomes available about supporting or becoming a candidate, we’ll post it on our website. A number of candidates have already declared. While we don’t endorse candidates in primaries, we do like to make information available and provide equal assistance to any Democrat who is running for office.
Candidates/Offices for 2017 (not all have announced):
- Governor: Ralph Northam
- Lt. Governor: Justin Fairfax and Gene Rossi are currently running for the nomination. More may join.
- Attorney General: Mark Herring is running for re-election
- Member, House of Delegates 45-District – Mark Levine
- Member, House of Delegates 47-District – Patrick Hope
- Member, House of Delegates 48-District – Rip Sullivan
- Member, House of Delegates 49-District – Alfonso Lopez
- Member, Arlington County Board: Jay Fisette
- Member, Arlington County School Board: James Lander
Thanks and feel free to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions.