The most important job I ever had was Precinct Captain
-Harry S. Truman
You, too, can be a precinct captain! The Arlington Democrats will train you, help you get started, and offer assistance along the way. Read below for more details; for more information or to get involved, contact our Precinct Operations Chair.
What is a precinct captain?
Arlington communities are divided into 52 voting precincts. Precinct Captains serve as ACDC’s public face in their respective precincts. Captains are people excited about turning grassroots efforts into victory for Democrats! You can find your precinct by entering your address at the State Board of Elections Lookup Tool.
What do precinct captains do?
Democrats believe in the power of community. The success of Precinct Operations activities depends on a strong network of precinct captains who are ACDC’s point of contact with their neighbors. A good precinct captain understands the character and demographics of her or his precinct. She or he works year-round getting to know the neighbors and promoting the idea that “we are all in this together.” The primary goal is to maximize the Democratic turnout and performance in local, state, and federal elections. Specifically, precinct captains:
- Cultivate and expand a network of enthusiastic volunteers
- Find out what voters are thinking and let us know
- Notify current and prospective volunteers about upcoming political events
- Coordinate volunteers to distribute campaign materials, attend neighborhood visibility events, and work the polls on Election Day
- Facilitate candidate meet-and-greets
- Support Democratic candidates by encouraging neighbors to vote
What are the benefits of being a precinct captain?
- Be a voting member of the Arlington County Democratic Committee
- Meet new and interesting people in your neighborhood
- Gain political opportunities in Arlington and throughout the state
- Have close contact with Arlington leaders
- Be in the know about exciting Democratic speeches, dinners, events and programs in Arlington
- Enjoy the pure satisfaction of knowing you spent time making sure Arlington grows in healthy, smart, and Democratic-friendly ways!
The Precinct Operations Team– Coordination and Support
ACDC’s Precinct Operations team coordinates the work of the precinct captains, providing them with support and resources to build a strong foundation within each community. Precinct Ops runs countywide efforts to identify voters, recruit volunteers, and communicate with voters about important issues affecting their lives. Together with our precinct captains, Precinct Operations represents the “Feet on the Street” that create, develop, and sustain the Democratic Party’s relationship with its voters in the community.
Precinct Operations also partners with individual candidate campaigns both locally and statewide.
Selected Precinct Activities include:
- Delivering newsletters and flyers door-to-door throughout the county
- Door-to-door canvassing and phone banking to identify Democratic voters
- Inviting neighbors, volunteers, elected officials & local candidates to house parties
- Phone calling and canvassing to Get-out-the-Vote (GOTV) around Election Day
- Greet and hand out sample ballots on Election Day as voters arrive at the polls