Despite record-breaking dishonesty as a candidate, it’s clear that President Trump intends to deliver on his most dangerous and destructive promises. Through executive orders alone, Trump has demanded: federal agencies to reduce enforcement of the Affordable Care Act, called for the expansion and acceleration of deportations, and imposed a temporary travel ban on seven Muslim-majority countries. Furthermore, he has ordered a federal hiring freeze and directed the Environmental Protection Agency freeze all grants and contracts. This is utterly unacceptable…..
ACDC News - Featured
Today the Arlington County Board released a powerful statement, in English and in Spanish, affirming that our beautiful, diverse community is and will remain inclusive and welcoming to all, regardless of legal status.
Please share with friends and neighbors! See the images below to see the full statement.
You are not alone.
You are 1 of Many for a Commonsense Commonwealth.
Please join fellow Virginians for a positive Weekend of Action — coinciding with Inauguration Weekend — that will provide opportunities for meaningful civic engagement and political activism. Civic-minded Virginians of all political views are welcome, as are supporters from elsewhere. Whether you participate in one event or the entire weekend of activities, you will be one of many working for a Commonsense Commonwealth.
Support Democratic candidates in Special Elections in Virginia being held on January 10, 2017
- VA Senate District 9 (Jennifer McClellan)
- VA Senate District 22 (Ryant Washington)
- VA House District 85 (Cheryl Turpin)
Phone banking to voters planned from Arlington Democratic HQ, on Dec. 13 and 20 and Jan. 3, 5 and 9
On Wednesday December 7th, Arlington Democrats approved the Rules for the 2017 School Board Endorsement for one candidate for Arlington County School Board in the November 7, 2017 election. An “unassembled caucus” will be held on Thursday, May 11 (7 p.m. to 9 p.m.) at Drew Model School and Saturday, May 13 (11 a.m. to 7 p.m.) at Washington-Lee High School. In order to be eligible for endorsement by the participants in the unassembled Caucus, candidates for Arlington County School Board must file a letter of intent to seek the Democratic endorsement with the Chair of the Arlington County Democratic Committee, or his/her designated representative, after January 1, 2017, and before 7:30 p.m. on Monday, February 27, 2017.
The Arlington County Democratic Committee unanimously pass a resolution on December 7, 2016 that stated:
- 1. We oppose ending traditional Medicare by changing it from a defined benefit to a defined contribution voucher program.
- 2. We oppose increasing the Medicare eligibility age.
- 3. We oppose increasing the out-of-pocket costs for Medicare beneficiaries by further increasing income-related premiums.
- 4. We oppose repealing the Medicare-related provisions of the Affordable Care Act, which are helping Medicare beneficiaries with their prescription drug costs and provide preventive screening and wellness visits with no out-of-pocket costs.
- 5. We urge Senators Warner and Kaine and Congressman Beyer to vote against any proposed cuts to Medicare.
Thank you for pouring your heart into the 2016 campaign. Because of you, we turned Virginia blue for the third Presidential election in a row. The work you’ve done will help us continue the fight to elect Democrats who share our values. Our successes this year include contributing toward:
- 24,636 newly registered voters in Arlington County this year
- 37,629 voters voted absentee by mail or in-person a new record
- 121,241 Arlington voters voted, a new record; for 82 percent turnout of active voters
- 91,879 Arlington voters voted for the Democratic Nominee Hillary Clinton, 76 percent a new record.
It’s been a rough election for all of us, but in recent days the Arlington County Democratic Committee has received an influx of people asking what they can do to help and get involved. That’s a good thing because we need you now more than ever.
The Arlington County Democratic Committee is here all year long, and we continue to organize, advocate and grow. Visit our Contact Us page to get in touch with us and to volunteer. Visit our Calendar regularly to find Democratic and progressive events or to add your own event. You are welcome to join us at our Holiday Party General Meeting on Wednesday, December 7 at the Walter Reed Community Center (2909 16th St S. Arlington, VA 22204).
If you want to take action against President-Elect Trump’s ideas for a Muslim registry you can read a statement from the DNC here, his threats to action on climate change from Congressman Beyer here, and a letter signed by 169 House Democrats against White Nationalist Steve Bannon’s appointment here. Then you can write a letter or call the district offices of our US Senators Mark Warner and Tim Kaine.
One of the next big things coming up in January is the Virginia legislative session in Richmond. Already, state Senators and Delegates are filing legislation. You can visit this site to read the bills and see which ones you might want to support or oppose.
2017 is critical. We will have elections next November for Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General and all 100 members of the House of Delegates. But first, we’ll be nominating our candidates by primary, caucus or convention. When information becomes available about supporting or becoming a candidate, we’ll post it on our website. A number of candidates have already declared. While we don’t endorse candidates in primaries, we do like to make information available and provide equal assistance to any Democrat who is running for office.
Candidates/Offices for 2017 (not all have announced):
- Governor: Ralph Northam
- Lt. Governor: Justin Fairfax and Gene Rossi are currently running for the nomination. More may join.
- Attorney General: Mark Herring is running for re-election
- Member, House of Delegates 45-District – Mark Levine
- Member, House of Delegates 47-District – Patrick Hope
- Member, House of Delegates 48-District – Rip Sullivan
- Member, House of Delegates 49-District – Alfonso Lopez
- Member, Arlington County Board: Jay Fisette
- Member, Arlington County School Board: James Lander
Thanks and feel free to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions.
It’s time! Time to get to the polls and cast your vote for the Democratic ticket!
Do you have a plan to vote on Tuesday? If not, we’re here to help.
Step 1: Find your polling location. Click here to look it up.
Step 3: Make sure you have a photo ID. Need more info on what constitutes a valid ID? Check out VA Dems guidelines here.
Step 4: Go Vote!
Need a ride to the polls on Tuesday? We’ve got you covered. Give us a call at 703-528-8588.
And it’s never too late to volunteer to get out the vote! Check here for volunteer shifts and locations, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Canvassing (Nov 5, 6, and 7) shifts at 9am, noon, 3pm, & 6pm. Please RSVP to an organizer.
November 8: 8am, 11am, 2pm and 5pm.
|Rosslyn-Courthouse (MetroEast)||1536 N Scott St, Arlington, VA||Andrea Holtermann|
|Clarendon-Ballston (MetroWest & Central)||1302 N Nelson, Arlington VA||Manny Bakare
|Northeast (River)||4946 Rock Spring Rd, Arlington, VA||Colleen Ryan|
|Southwest (King & Four Mile)||1 S Lexington S, Arlington, VA||Kim Egonmwan|
|Northwest (West)||3506 N Nottingham S, Arlington, VA||Sam Hanoura|
|Crystal City & Columbia Pike (Southeast & CenterEast)||1521 23rd Rd S, Arlington, VA||Guy Mentel